The Education Northwest Board of Directors welcomed Barbara Adams as new chairperson after recognizing Jeff Weldon’s service as chairperson for the past two years at today’s board meeting.
Adams, an adjunct professor and researcher at University of Alaska in Fairbanks, is passionate about teaching and modeling decision making through data and evidence. As a board member for the past five years, she has worked to help move the organization’s mission forward in her home state.
During his service, Weldon was characterized for fostering a collegial atmosphere. He will continue as an ex officio member.
The Board also recognized five retiring members:
- Twyla Barnes, superintendent, Education Service District 112, Washington
- Alan Burke, deputy superintendent for K-12 education, Washington Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction
- Laurie Leonard, retired teacher, Fairbanks North Star Borough School District, Alaska
- Mary Ann Ranells, superintendent, Lakeland Joint School District, Idaho
- Robert Wehde, principal, Bishop Kelly High School, Idaho
Like Charles Schulz said, “Why can't we get all the people together in the world that we really like and then just stay together? I guess that wouldn't work. Someone would leave. Someone always leaves. Then we would have to say good-bye. I hate goodbyes. I know what I need. I need more hellos.”
"It’s been an honor having you serve on our board," said Education Northwest Communications Director Olga Vargas. "You will be missed, but we look forward to continuing our collaboration with our region’s leaders and to saying many more hellos."