Through a combination of workshops, coaching, and/or facilitated team meetings, teachers of grades 6–8 and 9–12 will increase their understanding of how students learn and enhance their knowledge of effective instruction applied to the mathematical content and practices of the Common Core State Standards (CCSS). High school sessions provide opportunities for participants to examine the model course pathways outlined in the CCSS for Mathematics.
Teams of teachers, along with their principals and support staff such as paraprofessionals, are encouraged to participate together. As a result of the professional development experience, teams develop a plan for implementing workshop ideas in the classroom and school community. Activities include:
- Solving mathematical problems
- Analyzing classroom video and examples of student work
- Reading and discussing professional journals
- Applying research about how children learn mathematics to classroom situations
- Interacting with grade-level colleagues
- Strategizing implementation of the CCSS for Mathematics
This professional development experience is delivered through a series of workshops over the course of the school year.
Following the completion of the workshops, we can provide ongoing support using one or more of the following formats: lesson study, video study groups, and/or individual or group coaching.