It’s time to start preparing for the implementation of the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics (CCSSM). With common assessments set to roll out in the 2014–2015 school year, districts can ease the coming transition by beginning the implementation process now.
Districts can help staff gain confidence in teaching these new standards and practices. This series of workshops provide an opportunity to develop an understanding of the CCSSM content and how it differs from current content and practice. Teachers, leaders, and administrators of K–8 students can begin preparing now to modify instruction to meet the new expectations.
Each workshop in the series involves nine hours of professional development that can be delivered in two or three sessions. Workshop 1 provides K–8 educators with an orientation to the structure and vocabulary of the mathematics content and practice standards and explores the Geometry Domain in depth. Workshops 2–6 focus on the remaining mathematical domains identified for study in grades K–8.
- Introduction to the CCSSM and the Geometry Domain (K–8)
- Domains: Measurement and Data; Statistics and Probability (K–8)
- Domains: Counting and Cardinality; Number and Operations in Base Ten; Number and Operations—Fractions (K–5)
- Domains: Operations and Algebraic Thinking (K–5)
- Domains: Ratios and Proportional Relationships; the Number System (6–8)
- Domains: Expressions and Equations; Functions (6–8)
Workshops are designed for educators who serve students in grades K–8. Teachers, administrators, coaches, and paraprofessionals can all benefit by engaging in these workshops.