Areas of Expertise
- District/educational organizational equity system improvements
- Diversifying the workforce
- Multilingual learners, dual language, and migrant education
(she, her, hers)
Equity and System Improvements
As a brown-skinned Latina, first-generation Salvadorian, multilingual educator, and doctor who grew up in Oregon, Karen wants to use her lived experience, formal education, and cultural and social wealth to build systems of access and opportunity alongside others working to disrupt the status quo.
Outside of work, Karen is an active advocate for educational justice in the community. Karen is president of the Oregon Association of Latino Administrators, a Beaverton School District board member, and a Coalition of Oregon School Administrators equity board member.
Karen brings more than 25 years of experience in education and community advocacy, teaching, and district-level administration. As an educator, Karen specialized in early literacy, Spanish language development, and supports for emergent multilingual learners. She has developed K–20 student and parent supports for Latino-majority communities, mentored teachers, co-led workforce diversification efforts, and administered district equity programs. At the university level, Karen has taught on culturally responsive teaching in linguistically diverse classrooms and facilitated retreats for educational leadership doctoral candidates.
- Preliminary Administrative Licensure, Lewis & Clark Graduate School of Education and Counseling
- Ed.D., Leadership, Lewis & Clark Graduate School of Education and Counseling
- Ed.M. and Teacher Certificate, Portland State University
- M.S., Special Education and Inclusion, Portland State University
- English for Speakers of Other Languages/Bilingual K–12 Endorsement, Portland State University
- B.A., Biology and Spanish, Carroll College
My dog thinks I...
I don't have a dog
The most beautiful place I've seen is...
The mountains driving between Montana, Idaho, and Oregon
When not at work, you can find me...
With my family, on or near water, or watching movies